Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Don't Really Like the Golden Globes

And for someone obsessed with the Academy Awards, that seems kind of odd to most people.

Don't get me wrong, I really like finding out who wins the awards, and sometimes the hosting can be funny (such as Ricky Gervais last year, as well as this year) or people might have lovely acceptance speeches (such as Hugh Laurie's humorous ones or Christoph Waltz's pleasant speech). But overall, the Globes just pale in comparison to other awards.

Sure, it's like dinner AND a show, so to actually attend them would be kind of awesome, but watching them, they get far too drawn out and lengthy all the time due to the fact that they include awards for all of Television, Miniseries, AND Film. I mean, even the Academy Awards kicked the honoring of Miniseries and made for TV movies because it made them too long (or some other reason of the like, I'm not really sure).

I specifically remember watching one a few years ago where they awarded Warren Beatty with a special achievement award or something similar, and I fell asleep... and when I woke up 20 minutes later he was still talking. NO offense intended to Mr. Beatty, I mean I think he is fabulous, but my goodness, that show just lost all interest to me after that. To be honest it had been exhausting me even before they presented Mr. Beatty with his award.

Plus, there is all this hoopla about how The Tourist is nominated this year over some other, much better films (plus the glaring fact that it is not exactly a Comedy OR Musical, which is the category for which it is nominated). Really, this just means that they don't typically have as-- I'm not sure what word I'm looking for. Maybe... applicable?... respectable?-- of nominations as other award shows.

I don't know, this is just kind of my random, inconclusive, personal rant, the day before the Golden Globes.
Last year I only watched five minutes, and decided to catch up on who won online afterwards. That way, I knew what the results were, but had the running time of the show to do homework (which is more important anyways, no matter how big of a film fan I may be).

2 comments:

  1. you commented on mine i comment on yours- i love the academy awards and can remember like 80 years worth of trivia (how sad...) But yeah the golden globes don't have the same effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank ya! And I am completely the same, the Academy Awards are always much more enjoyable... Though I did find Ricky Gervais very hilarious this year, despite all the backlash he's getting.

    ReplyDelete